How to create a Snippet in Sublime Text
- The file name should end in .sublime-snippet.
- It should be saved in (Mac) /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User See this page for the data folder on other OS.
- The code must ve wrapped in a <![CDATA[ ]]> tag.
- You can use $1 to indicate where to place the cursor after inserting the template. For example, for an HTML5 template you can place it between
<title> tags like so:
<title>$1</title> and this is where the cursor will be after the snippet is inserted.
- You can designate multiple cursors points for after snippet expansion, like $1, $2, $3 and so on.. Use
tab to go to the next cusrsor point.
- You can define a
tabTrigger. It’s the word that you need to type before pressing tab. For example,
html5 is the tab trigger for HTML5 snippet.
- You should define
scope. Which basically means that you can define in what type of files this snippet should expand. For example, a snippet with
<scope>source.css</scope> will only expand in CSS files. I omit scope in my snippets because i start writing files first and save later. Without a scope given i can expand the snippet in unsaved/untitled files.
- You can add a